Saturday, February 3, 2007

Lament for An Ocean

"I fought hard to get access to the tagging databases because I knew I could infer crucial information on fishing mortality and mitigation rates. However, I was not allowed access to this data, even though I was a DFO (Department of Fisheries and Oceans) employee and was the best qualified person to do this analysis. This was extremely hard on a personal level, to fight to do your job on what was perhaps the most important issue for Newfoundland. After the collapse of the cod, I did get access to the data, and published three papers. And yes, it did show that fishing mortality was very high. But it was too late." --Dr. Ransom Myers as quoted in Lament For An Ocean: The Collapse of the Atlantic Cod Fishery by Michael Harris, 1999 edition, page 254

No comments: